Well well well Popcorn and Chocolate are back again making what else but popcorn. This recipe is absolutely perfect for Cinco de Mayo, especially if you pair it with our mango margarita recipe. Disclaimer: this combination is beyond delicious and we do not recommend it unless you are prepared to want more.
Cilantro. Lime. Popcorn. Nope, do not try this because it is disgusting and you will not go out and buy more popcorn kernels and cilantro and limes to recreate it the next day and the day after that and the day after that… We definitely didn’t do that.. nope, doesn’t sound like us at all.
This popcorn though, it is like happy hour meets movie theater meets my mouth in a delicious explosion of salty cilantro-y goodness.
This is coming from the kid who absolutely positively despised cilantro and would avoid it at all costs. If it had cilantro in it, nope, just no; I was done. I used to hate Boloco because their rice has cilantro cooked into it, and who could hate Boloco?! I was crazy and thankfully I have come to my senses and now actually love cilantro and make Rose buy it at the grocery store all too often. Rose loves cilantro so she is overly excited by my new found relationship with the herb.
If you told me a few years ago I would be making and loving cilantro lime popcorn I wouldn’t have believed you. I was with all the cilantro tastes like soap people, but now I have converted, and my friends, you will too with this scrumptious popcorn.
Simple, salty, zesty popcorn. Keep it coming because I could eat many of batches of this lovely delightful snack.
Cilantro Lime Popcorn:
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels – this makes a big two person sharing bowl sized amount
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons sunflower oil (olive oil or coconut oil would work as well, but sunflower oil creates the most authentic popcorn taste so we highly recommend it)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional – extra dash of cilantro and zest to top it all off for an extra punch of flavor
1. Pop the kernels either on the stove or using an air popper
2. Mix the oil with most, but not all of the cilantro, zest, and salt in a small bowl until combined
3. Pour mixture over popped popcorn and shake to thoroughly cover, then toss in the remaining cilantro, zest, and salt
5. Optional- invite me over to help you enjoy.
There you have it, a simple yet flavorful popcorn snack that would be perfect for your next Friday night movie night or even for a fun snack on Cinco de Mayo. I’ll warn you again, pairing this with those mango margaritas is definitely not a delicious idea…. nope…
Ps. I’m literally dying over how cute this llama placemat is. We got it at Crate & Barrel in the fall and unfortunately they don’t sell it anymore.. I need more!