Learn how to make his doughnut marquee sign for your home by reading below!
Over the past couple of years I’ve become quite obsessed with doughnuts. I kind of forgot about them between the ages of 8-22 but have rekindled the love. The doughnut that brought back this love affair was definitely the Oreo peanut butter chocolate one from Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland. It was all downhill from there.
There’s nothing quite like a good ol’ doughnut. That’s where the inspiration for this marquee sign came from – my love of doughnuts. Though this marquee doughnut is not edible it does light up and makes for quite the unique home accent.
I went for a strawberry frosted doughnut with extra sprinkles but you can certainly choose whatever flavor and sprinkle amount you prefer ;)
- Foam board
- Poster board
- Paint in various colors (I used light brown and pink)
- Globe lights
- Electric drill or nail and hammer
- Hot glue gun
Doughnut marquee instructions:
- Start by drawing a large circle on your foam board and then a smaller one within that.
- Cut out around the large circle and the small circle so you have a doughnut shape.
- Cut out strips of poster about 2 inches thick and as long as the poster board.
- To make the holes in the doughnut, first count out how many lights you have on your string lights (mine was 30) then on the back of your doughnut draw a dot everywhere you want to drill for a light. Make sure that you measure the distance between each light and don’t put the dots too far apart.
- Taking a drill, carefully drill a hole everywhere you marked. Or, if you don’t have a drill, you can take a hammer and a thick nail (one as thick as the wire on the light bulb) and nail a hole everywhere there is a dot – just make sure you don’t nail it all the way through so it sticks to whatever is underneath your doughnut.
- Paint your doughnut and the strips of paper a light brown color. For the poster strips make sure you paint both sides. I found that using a circular foam brush looked the best as it didn’t leave any paint streaks.
- Once the brown is dry paint over the inside of the doughnut in pink creating the frosting.
- Once your doughnut is painted you can attach the poster board strips to the sides of the doughnut so it stands out. Using a hot glue gun, glue along the sides of the doughnut and then carefully place one of the poster board strips on it so that half is on each side. Continue doing this until your poster board strips cover the whole outside of the doughnut. Then do the same with the inside circle.
- Glue a piece of string into a loop onto the back of your doughnut so you can hang it up.
- Take off the balls on your globe lights so you can place the lights through the holes you drilled. Thread each of the lights through the holes and then replace the ball onto the globe light.
- Tape down the battery pack to the back of your light.
- Hang on your wall and admire your handy work!
Doughnutcha wish you had this marquee sign in your home?? This DIY definitely was a fun one to make and surprisingly easy.
Make sure to check out our Home DIY Pinterest board to find other fun DIYs for your home!
6 thoughts on “DIY Doughnut Marquee Light”
Oh my gosh! This is such an adorable idea, and it looks so clever!! <3 xx
Aww thanks doll!
Very cute ! I love it . Great job, Hugs, Terri xoxo.
Thanks so much Terri!